[Wp-install] I think it's time..

Michael E. Hancock mhancock at us.net
Tue Sep 26 14:26:06 GMT 2006

NOTE:  remember you can't just reply to emails on this list as the reply
goes to the originating person--you have to manually address the reply to
wp-install at lists.automattic.com

From: "spencerp" <spencerp1 at gmail.com>
> To remove the "unanswered" install requests, in the moderation queue, what
you all think?

I'd say delete all "unanswered" requests from the July 17 to September 15.
Then at the end of each month, delete those "unanswereds" up to the 15th of
that month.   I suggest each person that originally claimed an install
should go back and delete those requests where the requestor never bother to
respond to our solicitation.  Please keep track of how many you delete and
report that to the list so we can have a rough idea of the number of
requests we have received, versus the number we've actually completed.

> IMO, there is a few others that *could be* removed from the list,
>since we had no word from them, in how long, haven't seen anyone
>else in the moderation queue doing installs, except for, MichaelH,
>Doodlebee, Samboll, and I..

The names on the list are people who volunteered for the project originally.
Unless they ask to be removed, assume their silence means they wish to
remain on the list.

>With that said, who thinks "we" could bring aboard *other* installers,
>to "replace" those that haven't been installing, or chooses to be off the
>"installers list"? Or, do you "feel" with the current installers, that we
are pretty well set?
>I noticed MichaelH, and Doodlebee have been really active lately,
>knocking out tons of installs, almost as if "they" were in competition
>with each other lmao!! =P Anyway, sometimes I just feel like
>why bother anymore.. I dunno why I think that, but.. just do.. =(

I guess after reading "the call to arms" email
(http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-forums/2006-September/003410.html)
I have to plead guilty to being over-aggressive with the installations--if I
see a request I pounce on it.  But, I don't want to discourage others from
participating, so in that vain, I will wait at least one hour before
responding to any 'open' request.

Your question and comment are somewhat opposing.  On the one hand, do we
need new blood to help with installs, but on the other hand current
installers aren't getting enough work.  This is a damned if you do, damned
if you don't, situation.  For now, let's see if we get behind in fulfilling
the requests and if we do, make a call for help.

> All the "requests" I've been handling lately, are, sad to say.. pain in
the arses.

Just the nature of the game I suppose.  I've added a statement to
https://install4free.wordpress.com/2006/06/25/get-in-touch/ asking that
requesting individuals insure they have the proper server requirements.
But, it is real apparent that many people just don't read...

Spencer, on a personal note, please remember this is supposed to be fun.
But on the other hand, take joy in the fact real life DOES get in the way.

Thanks for getting this moving and please know your contributions to
WordPress are valued.

Regards.

MichaelH