[wp-hackers] Fwd: [GSoC - 2014] Introducing Myself

Nicholas Ciske nl at thoughtrefinery.com
Mon Feb 24 16:51:00 UTC 2014

Deven,

Please download a few popular form plugins and see how they handle things -- they've already solved the problems you're facing -- the beauty of open source is that you can learn from other's code.

http://formidablepro.com
http://wordpress.org/plugins/ninja-forms/

Making a new form in an iframe popup is a interesting idea -- would be good for quick forms. However, is that the workflow users will use? Or will they author the the form and them want to insert it into (possibly multiple) posts/pages/widgets? I'm not saying either way is correct, I'm asking you to evaluate the best workflow for your users before making architectural decisions.

Saving the HTML is probably not what you want to do -- forms are dynamic things -- so the are generally best generated each time, so they can take into account the current state (required fields, errors, etc). i.e. Save the meta data about the form in custom fields on the custom post type instead, then generate the form when it's viewed.

Nick Ciske
http://thoughtrefinery.com/
@nciske