[wp-hackers] GitHub submodule theme development?

Micky Hulse mickyhulse.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 17:57:42 UTC 2013

Hi Brad, Brian and Simon, thanks so much for the quick replies and
help, I really appreciate it. :)

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 8:02 PM, Brad Parbs <brad at bradparbs.com> wrote:
> I just switched over my installs to use WordPress in a Git submodule.
> Check out http://github.com/bradp/wpeagles to see it in action. I based it off of Mark Jaquith's wp-stack and WordPress skeleton, check those out too!

Oh, nice!

Actually, I was just using (last night) Skeleton
<https://github.com/markjaquith/WordPress-Skeleton>, and
<https://github.com/davidwinter/wordpress-with-git>, to setup
something similar. :)

I've got a pretty good workflow setup for local/prod using a few
simple tools, so I'm stoked on my setup (which is close to yours) so
far.

Anyway, thanks for reply and for showing me your setup! I really
appreciate it. :)

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 8:02 AM, Brian Hogg <brian at brianhogg.ca> wrote:
> Mark pointed out that these shouldn't be together, as the config files in the public web root contain passwords.  Perhaps another layer so they're out of the web root or just keep them separated?

Are you saying that the config should not be at the root of the WP
install? Not sure if I follow. In Brad's case, he has wp-config.php at
the top level there ... That seems like a normal spot to put it, esp.
if you have this in your .htaccess:

<files wp-config.php>
order allow,deny
deny from all
</files>

... and permisisons are 400 or 440.

I know that's not 100% security, but it's pretty solid, right?

For my personal setup, I'm just using gitignore to ignore my
local/production config files (I opted to not use wp-stack as I wanted
a more simple setup) but I still keep the config files at my root.

Would you be able to elaborate a tad on "Perhaps another layer so
they're out of the web root or just keep them separated?"

Maybe you're saying to have something like this in wp-config:
include_once(file with sensitive information outside web root);?

Sorry for my barrage of questions. :D

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Simon Weil <simon.weil at naturalint.com> wrote:
> You can use the yeoman wordpress generator for this (I have only played
> with it till now but looks promising):

Interesting! Thanks for tip. :)

I used Yeoman a few months back, but I was not sure if it was the tool for me.

I'll have to give it another look.

Thanks folks!