[wp-hackers] GitHub submodule theme development?

Micky Hulse mickyhulse.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 18:07:02 UTC 2013

I should mention, I'm wondering more about developing themes as Git submodules.

Maybe I should be asking if anyone here uses symlinks for themes?

Long story short, I'd like to have a separate version control process
for themes within a version controlled WP install.

My first thought was to use a Git submodule, but I have my concerns
about being able to see the updates as I'm working locally (I've not
used submodules too much, but I know they are a little bit more work
to juggle).

My second thought (which I had as I was going to bed) was to have a
symlink in my WP theme's folder to another repository (locally) which
contained my theme files. I did a quick bit of research last night,
and I could not find anything specifically related to this technique,
other than folks talking about how PHP/WP symlinks have drawbacks.

Anyway, just wanted to clarify my question.

It just feels a tad overkill to version control a whole WP install for
the sake of theme development.

What do you pro hackers do? :)

Thanks!
Micky