[wp-hackers] GSoC Proposal: JSON REST API

Mike Schinkel mike at newclarity.net
Sat Apr 13 04:03:38 UTC 2013

On Apr 12, 2013, at 11:17 PM, Ryan McCue <lists at rotorised.com> wrote:
> To my knowledge, this is also the first proposal with working code that
> I've seen towards a JSON API.

The working code is not the relevant point. If the need for code is the only hurdle to adoption I can take the code I have used for recent client projects and prepare something to propose in a few days.  But code is not the issue here.  The 2 month single developer constraint of the GSOC process is the issue.

BTW, this was submitted over two years ago, so yours is not the first code for a JSON API:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/json-api/

Anyway, I am saddened that my feedback has been taken as a challenge by you and as "not helpful" by Marko; I truly believe we'll all be better off if this provide is not green-lit for a 2 month timeline.

Yes I'm objecting to the JSON API as a GSOC project but here is what I would be very supportive of instead:

1.) Gather a team of 2 other student developers and 3 WordPress community mentors.
2.) Create a KickStarter campaign to replace the GSOC funds. This will create same commitment to deliver as GSOC.
3.) Don't set an arbitrary limit of 2 months.

4.) Create a Trac ticket to allow those in the community to discuss and comment.
5.) Prepare an architecture brief to present on the API Craft mailing list asking for feedback.
6.) Bring on at least one professional web API architect as a mentor. I would recommend any of these people (no idea if they will accept):

- Mark Nottingham
- Mike Admundsen
- Kevin Swiber
- Mike Kelley
- Glenn Block
- Brian Mulloy
- Jørn Wildt
- Jan Algermissen

7.) Plan to give enough time that all the concerns of those who participate in the discussion on Trac have been heard and that a majority agree with the compromise chosen (web APIs are nothing if not an best effort at a series of compromises.)

But if you and Marko do not find that 7-point plan a better approach than a GSOC project then would you at least do me the personal favor of #5?

-Mike