[wp-hackers] GSoC Proposal: JSON REST API

Ryan McCue lists at rotorised.com
Sat Apr 13 03:17:33 UTC 2013

Mike Schinkel wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2013, at 5:06 PM, Marko Heijnen <mailing at markoheijnen.nl> wrote:
>> Not sure what kind of point you want to make here but it doesn't sound good.
>
> The point is that we have a proposal on the table which I'm raising concern over based on process.  I think a JSON API for WordPress has too many ramifications to be constrained to a single developer operating on a fixed 2 month timeframe.

To my knowledge, this is also the first proposal with working code that
I've seen towards a JSON API.

> Taken together they strongly imply that Ryan's goal for the project is to create a JSON API for *core*.  Further, considering that /wp-json.php in the root is not a proper approach for a plugin further implies this proposal was intended for core.

That's correct, the eventual goal is core integration. But that doesn't
mean it has to be integrated into core to work, it merely means that it
will be designed around that fact.

As an example of something this affects, note that I have not prefixed
any filters with anything other than 'json_'. If the intention was for
this to live permanently as a plugin, I'd probably prefix it with
'rmccue_json_' or similar.

The wp-json.php is how it would be implemented in core and is a
proof-of-concept based on the existing xmlrpc.php file. There's nothing
to stop this being in a plugin though, and if you'd like, I can write
the part that would make it a fully fledged plugin. The only reason that
doesn't exist currently is that I didn't need it for local testing.

>> There's certainly no chance of that happening.
>
> No chance?  I'll assert that could only be true if you are omniscient. Are you?

What I meant by this was that decisions won't be made lightly just
because they're the right way to do it, but rather will be fully
considered with input from anyone who wants to provide it.

>> This isn't my first rodeo.
>
> And you are but one person.

I meant in terms of tone. Working with open source requires a fairly
thick skin.

--
Ryan McCue
<http://ryanmccue.info/>