[wp-hackers] Caching as part of the core

Erick Hitter ehitter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 11:10:16 UTC 2012

Almong,

Personally, I don't want to see a persistent object cache back in Core.
That's what transients are for. They offer the DB-style caching found in
Drupal, but once a persistent caching plugin (such as either you mentioned,
or Memcached Object Cache, etc.) is enabled, the database is no longer
relied upon.

Considering the widely-varied server configurations WordPress runs on, I
think it's foolish to bloat Core with such a thing. There are too many
different ways to implement persistent caching, all of which depend on
server capabilities, for this to be a good idea. It's up to the individuals
behind a given site to make these decisions, and I feel that's exactly the
way it should be.

As a developer, the onus is rightly on me to select and implement caching
appropriately. If I'm writing a plugin or theme for the public repository,
I might choose transients if caching is warranted. Conversely, if I'm
coding something for an environment that I know does and always will have a
persistent object cache, I'll utilize that caching system. Context really
is the overriding factor here.

I do agree that plugin and theme authors ought to be better about building
caching into their code, but understanding when it helps and when it
hinders is just as important. Caching for sake of its presence alone
benefits no one.

Erick