[wp-hackers] Caching as part of the core

Almog Baku almog.baku at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 10:35:55 UTC 2012

Hey wordpressers!
As a continue to "[wp-hackers] Author URLs expose usernames", we discuss
about adding the caching option to the core. so I think this subject must
be discuss in a separated subject.
------------

*Why the caching system should be part of the core?*

   1. The common wordpress user(website owner/setup the website) doesn't
   know the priority of caching.
   2. The common user wouln't install any third-part plugin that he can't
   actually see.. he doesn't realize backend meaning.. he realize thing he can
   see- like themes and beautiful galleries plugins.
   3. Caching system improve SEO, user-end satisfaction, best performance,
   and of course loading speed.
   4. It will force the developers to develop plugins who support caching,
   and it will cache the result from the beginning of the site building
   process.. and not only the output.
   5. It will offer simpler configuration and safer way to non-techies user.
   6. Third-party plugins are something unsafty, we can't offer the user
   something with huge weight as third-party application.

*
Why it shouldn't be part of the core?*

   1. There is too many plugins who hurt from this decision.
   2. There is too many ways to cache website.
   3. This is very large issue. it will influence about all the wordpress
   plugins and the core.

*Samples from DRUPAL*
Drupal for example implements caching system as part of the core.
You can enable/disable/configure the caching inside the administration.
The cache system is caching a objects inside the DB(like menu, theme, hooks
configurations) and cache and minify the pages and theme files.
There is also modules for drupal who make the caching much more effective
and cache static pages.. but the simple and basic cacing is made by the
core.

*Today plugins for wordpress:*
There are two popular plugins for wordpres who manage the caching:

   1. WP Super Cache <http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-super-cache/>
   2. W3 Total Cache <http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/w3-total-cache/>

~ Almog