[wp-hackers] populate_option : wpmu-upgrade vs freshly created blog

Potkanski, Jason jpotkanski at tribune.com
Mon Mar 22 19:29:13 UTC 2010

The Populate_options hook is called before the actual blog defaults are stored. Any defaults set here will just get overridden with schema defaults.

If you are looking for how to set default blog options programmatically, hook wpmu_new_blog.

Here is a code sample on how to hook into wpmu_new_blog:

add_action( 'wpmu_new_blog', 'set_default_options', 10 , 2 );

function set_default_options($blog_id, $user_id) {
    set_default_general_settings($blog_id);
}

function set_default_general_settings($blog_id) {
    update_blog_option($blog_id, 'timezone_string', 'America/New_York');
}

I set defaults for serialized plugin data like recaptcha as well. It's a pretty simple technique.

There is a "Blog Defaults" MU plugin out there as well.

--

Jason Potkanski
Tribune Technology