[wp-hackers] Let's discuss custom post types and taxonomies.

Aaron Jorbin aaron at jorb.in
Wed Aug 4 19:30:59 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> I see this a lot. For a lot of open source programmers, the code *is*
> the documentation. When I go to answer a question about a subject I
> know nothing about (the best way to learn, IMO), I frequently go
> straight to the code. I rarely read tutorials, and I almost never use
> the codex. The tutorials I write tend to be my own notes from reading
> the code and figuring out something, cleaned up and prettified.
>
> My advice for how to become a ninja level programmer is two-fold:
> 1. Learn to read code like other people read english.
> 2. Every once in a while, tackle a support problem you know nothing
> about, and do it without referring to documentation of any sort.
>
> Works for me.
>
> -Otto

I agree with Otto on this one.   The only better way to understand the code
then reading it, is writing it.  And even that's not always the case.

I truth, after you have read the code and grocked it, please update the
codex, and if appropriate submit a patch to update the inline documentation.

-Aaron

http://aaron.jorb.in
twitter: twitter.com/aaronjorbin