[wp-hackers] Let's discuss custom post types and taxonomies.

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Aug 4 19:04:52 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Kris Young <KrisY at tbs.uk.com> wrote:
> 3) It just seems a shame. It's a potentially brilliant feature (nobody can really dispute that) but it's locked away in the code. The main problems I had with this were at various unrelated points, namely in the difference between taxonomies and categories within custom post types (so terminology I guess) and the displaying of all my shiny new data. The final opinion on this is until I decide to look at it again in the future, and it's a firm opinion that this feature could be better. I actually do think that documentation would help someone in a similar position to myself - I will actually try and write something and run it by some people before I post it.

I see this a lot. For a lot of open source programmers, the code *is*
the documentation. When I go to answer a question about a subject I
know nothing about (the best way to learn, IMO), I frequently go
straight to the code. I rarely read tutorials, and I almost never use
the codex. The tutorials I write tend to be my own notes from reading
the code and figuring out something, cleaned up and prettified.

My advice for how to become a ninja level programmer is two-fold:
1. Learn to read code like other people read english.
2. Every once in a while, tackle a support problem you know nothing
about, and do it without referring to documentation of any sort.

Works for me.

-Otto