[wp-hackers] EXIF geo data

Mike Little mike at zed1.com
Tue Mar 3 09:14:17 GMT 2009

2009/3/2 Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com>:
> 2009/3/2 Doug Smith <doug at smithsrus.com>:
>> Now as to what we do with the data after it's extracted and stored, I agree that is still best handled by themes and plugins.
>
> It would be nice if there was a standard way of associating a geo
> location to a WP post. I've seen several plugins, all of which use
> different metadata names for this sort of thing. The most common one
> I've seen is "_geo_location". Several different plugins use this, in
> the form of "89.1234, -33.1234" to hold their geo data. I think this
> is because the earliest plugin "Geo" used this format, and so
> compatibility was a good thing.
>
> If we're extracting the EXIF Geo data from an attachment, then the
> post for that attachment should get this metadata in this format as
> well.
>

> --
> -Otto

As an aside, if you have a WordPress database that has been around
since WordPress 1.0 - 1.2, you will still have 'post_lat' and
'post_lon' columns in the main wp_posts table! Not that I'm advocating
modifying the main table.

I agree a standard meta data name makes sense, as does one which has
been around for a while. My only minor reservation about a combined
field, is that it is a little harder to parse than separate long and
lat.

Any plugins or themes taking advantage of such meta data ought to cope
with different values for attachments and no value or a list of values
for the parent post.

Mike
--
Mike Little