[wp-hackers] EXIF geo data

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Mar 2 19:03:53 GMT 2009

2009/3/2 Doug Smith <doug at smithsrus.com>:
> Now as to what we do with the data after it's extracted and stored, I agree that is still best handled by themes and plugins.

It would be nice if there was a standard way of associating a geo
location to a WP post. I've seen several plugins, all of which use
different metadata names for this sort of thing. The most common one
I've seen is "_geo_location". Several different plugins use this, in
the form of "89.1234, -33.1234" to hold their geo data. I think this
is because the earliest plugin "Geo" used this format, and so
compatibility was a good thing.

If we're extracting the EXIF Geo data from an attachment, then the
post for that attachment should get this metadata in this format as
well.

--
-Otto