[wp-hackers] peculiar problem on setting GMT

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Mon Apr 27 16:00:50 GMT 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 1:29 AM, Lynne Pope <lynne.pope at gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't had time yet to look at this but wanted to record my thoughts with
> a #1A.
> 1A - Take into account daylight savings time on the server.
> This catches so many of my people out, when they schedule posts and don't
> remember that the servers are in different time zones. Twice a year, server
> time changes mess up post times. Adjusting for 4 daylight saving changes per
> year (server x2, blog x2) is no fun.

Sounds like misconfigured servers to me. Time is absolute, server time
even more so. All servers should be set internally to UTC time. What
they display/use for their own time varies, of course, but the
internal clock is never adjusted unless it's off UTC.

-Otto
Sent from Memphis, Tennessee, United States