[wp-hackers] 'same category name'-issue

robin niemeyer robin.niemeyer at gmx.net
Fri Apr 10 16:10:23 GMT 2009

Their are three things that are troubling me regarding this solution
(although it works):

- Say you set up a blog not for yourself but for a customer. Even if you
like to, you can't say to him/her: 'In order get things working, mispell
your category so that it is unique, then update it.' This would leave
him/her drawing conclusions with regard both to your skills and the
system you choose you really don't want to let him/her draw.

- As Dylan wrotes would be nice if an added category was validated by
the same rules as an updated one, which is true, but it is also possible
that in a future release updated categories get validated the same way
inserted ones do - which would be somewhat consequent considering the
uniqueness of terms rule.

- It's more a hack than a solution, and it depends on the user's
interaction, not on the underlying logic.

So, all in all this one's not really an option to me (same goes for
using tags instead of categories), not only because of this customer
thing, but mainly because I think this requires a more general approach.

> in the end
> you'll need unique slugs anyway

My fault, I talked about the slug hook only for the sake of
completeness; truth is that the unique slug problem is handled perfectly
well by WordPress itself by prefixing a non-unique slug with its
parent's slug. But WordPress (I'm using 2.7.) still validates against
the category name :-(

- Robin