[wp-hackers] Atom Export format

Alastair Rankine arsptr at internode.on.net
Mon Oct 2 05:39:48 GMT 2006

On 29/09/2006, at 3:55 AM, Roland Haeder wrote:

> Ah, I guess I missed the point here: Export format means that you
> download the
> output and upload it somewhere else?

Exactly. The somewhere else would typically be the unspecified killer
blogging engine of the future.

Implementing this now benefits all blogging engines because it
reduces the barrier to adoption. Users know they can trust their
content to a system that supports a documented export format because
they know they are not going to get locked in. I tried to explain
this in the introduction to my document, which in case you've
forgotten is at http://girtby.net/offerings/atomexport :)

>> I think it's worth moving toward Atom, since it solves several
>> issues with
>> RSS (no namespace, lots of random extensions, no central place to
>> discover
>> extensions, horrible parenting, etc.).
> So many good reasons to change over. :-) I don't know ATOM but I
> believe in
> your words that this is true.

Yes although I should point out that you don't have to support Atom
syndication in order to support my Atom export proposal.

One of the advantages of using an Atom-based protocol is that there
is the potential for code-sharing between syndication feed generation
and content export. But there is no strict dependency.