[wp-hackers] Improving WordPress' Performance WAS Changing MySQL minimum version

Doug Stewart zamoose at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 19:22:27 GMT 2006

On 11/30/06, Austin Matzko <if.website at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/30/06, Computer Guru <computerguru at neosmart.net> wrote:
> > No matter how you look at it, WP is horribly inefficient and now it's
> > definitely big enough that this warrants a second look. We need to do
> > something, the only question is, what?
>
> I'm not saying you're wrong, but could you quantify this inefficiency?
>  In other words, how are you measuring it especially in comparison
> with other platforms?

WordPress performance under load vs. Movable Type (static publishing)
performance under load.  MT whips WP, but it's actually kind of a
"cheat" - the entries themselves are statically generated and stored.
Any dynamic elements (comments, plug-ins, etc.) are then generated
on-the-fly.

As I stated above, a good metric is the consummate *thrashing*
out-of-the-box WP sites take when dugg/slashdotted/etc.

--
-Doug

http://literalbarrage.org/blog/