[wp-hackers] Easytags template system

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Wed May 10 16:14:19 GMT 2006

Tom Armitage wrote:
> And apologies if that came across in any way as _ad hominem_; I
> honestly didn't mean it as an attack on you. I just find it
> frustrating that there aren't so much two sides to this discussion, as
> two threads flowing in entirely perpendicular directions.
>
> So sorry, I shouldn't have thrown in the last line. But you can see my
> frustration, right?

I can, yes :)
I can see certain points but equally I cannot see others.
As a user - not as coder / supporter or anything else - if <~listcats~>
can list my cats just how I want, wonderful. But given that if I want
different from the standard that I will somehow have to dig into
something approaching code then as a user it does me little favour.

Example code from my sidebar:
<?php get_linksbyname('Reading', '<li>', '</li>', '', FALSE, 'rand',
FALSE, FALSE, 12, FALSE); ?>
How can that be done by a template tag? Unless somewhere else you want
me to edit those preferences into a tag and in such case the tag becomes
as much an obstacle as the original code.

Template tag the sidebar of the default theme. Make that more readable,
more useful and more customisable for the default user?

I do get your point about MT / WP and what goes on underneath and that
this is an issue beyond aesthetics - my point was that if MT has had
tags for longer and they have not used that power then is that a model
WP should follow? Arguably yes because WP leads but tag creation is one
thing and making them usable to your average blogger is something
entirely different.

And from what I understand if
<?php get_linksbyname('Reading', '<li>', '</li>', '', FALSE, 'rand',
FALSE, FALSE, 12, FALSE); ?>
takes a certain amount of time to execute, adding a template tag before
that just increases that time?

P.