[wp-hackers] Easytags template system

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Wed May 10 16:32:58 GMT 2006

Robert Deaton wrote:
> 1) Write code, you're not convincing anyone otherwise. A way to
> implement it has been displayed, if you want it, write it yourself,
> instead of flaming the other side incessantly until this thread
> eventually dies off. Hell, get a team of you together to write it if
> you must.

See these:
http://meidell.dk/archives/2004/07/26/easytags-plugin/
http://meidell.dk/files/easytags.phps

If you add code to simulate a Loop and a few of the other wp_*()
functions, it would be complete.  The complaint Brian has about it being
kind of useless is less true now that WP includes those non-echo
functions.  Read my comment on his post, which I wrote way back when.

> 2) Display the code to the public, take a poll on the people using it,
> keep track of how many people download it, survey people on if it was
> their reason for making the switch.

The code is online, the survey is... incomplete.

> 3) Present your data.

I guess this wasn't adopted.  It's been almost two years.  I'm pretty
sure that if we're able to search back through wp-hackers records we
would see this plugin mentioned, so it's not as if it was obscure.

> For the other side, who thinks this is a silly idea.

> 3) "I told you so." if it'll please your hearts and heads.

Is it premature to say "I told you so" right now, or should I wait a
bit?  ;)

Incidentally, it struck me that someone could write an interop
functions.php that let you drop theme files from another system (say,
MT) into a theme directory, and then use magic to convert the MT theme
tags into WP PHP templates on demand.

Owen