[wp-hackers] Introduction + Mac-specific pointer

Daniel Jalkut jalkut at red-sweater.com
Mon Jun 5 17:47:28 GMT 2006

Hi everybody, my name is Daniel Jalkut and I'm just getting my feet
wet with WordPress hacking.  I spend most of my time doing Mac
desktop software engineering.

I had been wondering for a long time where the "developers hangout"
was for WordPress, so I hope I've found it.  I often wonder why
things behave a certain way or another so I hope that by lurking here
for a little while I'll pick up by osmosis some of the design
constraints of the project, and eventually be more suited to making
my own submittable changes.

I've been running WordPress on my blog for almost a year now and have
generally been very happy. To facilitate better understanding of the
technical side of the project, and to put my mind at ease about
updating my site with latest public releases, I've put together a
pretty comprehensive set up where my live web site and local Mac
share access to a repository with several working copies of the
WordPress sources in them.

If you're working on WordPress from a Mac, you might find my blog
entry detailing this setup and integration with Apple's Xcode
interesting:

http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/141/livin-in-a-wordpress-hackers-
paradise

Also since I'm pretty naive I may have overlooked some easier way to
accomplish some of the goals I was seeking. Let me know if you have
any advice for how to better streamline the "sandboxing" of
development copies of WordPress and integrating with live deployments.

Daniel