[wp-hackers] Trackback Validator plugin now available.

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Wed Aug 24 22:47:43 GMT 2005

Matt Mullenweg wrote:

> And at the same time you're removing the best feature of Trackback, in
> fact what it was designed for: category aggregation. Trackback doesn't
> require a link back by design, not as a mistake.

The Pingback specification doesn't require links to be verified (I was
surprised when I came across this in the specification)... although I
suppose that is a bit different than outright saying that there doesn't
have to be a link, like with Trackback.

Although, let's face it... somewhere along the way, people got the idea
that Trackback was meant to indicate a link... probably because of
Movable Type's auto Trackback discovery for links.  If it doesn't
require a link, there is a tendency for some people to use them as
one-way traffic generators (i.e. you get links from the site to which
you sent the TB, but send none back).  People are inherently selfish,
which creates the motivation to send such trackbacks (sometimes in cases
of borderline topicality), and also gives people reason to become
annoyed when such a TB is received.  And of course, the REAL spam
started pouring in, and verifying the link became a good way to get rid
of the spam and if that also meant that legitimate "one-way" Trackbacks
got lost in the shuffle, well...  not many people were that broken up
about it.  With this "Trackback-lite" mentality, people do well to
ponder what the difference is.  If you're verifying links for both
Trackbacks and Pingbacks, there's not that much of a difference for the
user.  Really, it's just a matter of which server does the "work"
(getting the excerpt and site name).

--
Mark Jaquith
http://txfx.net/