[wp-hackers] suggestions for the next (not immediate)release

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 04:33:22 GMT 2005

Well, if there's one place where WordPress could be optimized, it is
the SQL. A really nice way to optimize would be to use relationships,
but that's still a mysql 5 feature, so its not a particularly good
idea. I think one way to opitmize for speed and not space would be to
put more indecies on the SQL tables. One major improvement I think we
would see is using post_date and post_date_gmt as an index, since a
lot of the fetching is done by date.

On the PHP side, I honestly believe there is little that can be done
for efficiency to make anything noticable even on the slowest
machines. Cutting down the number of functions is the only way that
might matter, but that's been brought up before, and I doubt that its
going to happen since PHP itself handles that very well. (Comment out
all the DB calls and the PHP would fly).