[wp-forums] Nofollow

Jan Dembowski jan at dembowski.net
Thu Jun 19 10:06:12 UTC 2014

Mark Riley wrote:
> On a user profile page the Website link is tagged as nofollow.
> When that user posts to the forum the site is linked from their name and it
> does not have the nofollow tag.
> Any links they place inside their posts are also without nofollow.
> Is that how it should be?

I didn't know that was the case. That cheers me up. (the nofollow I mean).

> So I am wondering if people could be using the forum as
> part of their backlink strategy.
> Or maybe I’m just too suspicious..

A lot of members post their link like crazy just for the Magic Backlink
Juice™. Often when that's ll they're doing then the links will get
redacted because it's not pertinent to the topic. If they come back to
the topic and help (and don't leave another off topic link) then cool.

But occasionally you'll get a member who constantly posts different
sites just for that backlink. Those eventually get blocked; spammers
aren't welcome...

--
Jan Dembowski
https://blog.dembowski.net/