[wp-forums] FW: FW: Using the forums for contacting people outside of the forums

Mike Turner miketurnermk at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 27 16:30:24 UTC 2014

Ok so I see that part that says that you shouldn't 'take the conversation to a private location' but I would suggest that there is a difference between taking the conversation to a private location and asking someone to just email you some account information relating to your website in order to continue the investigation.  There is no differentiation between an author plugin or a contributor in terms of this rule so in theory by your logic NO-ONE can gain access to a persons wp-admin site or ftp in order to investigate a complex issue.
The point of the above mention seemed to really be about not taking the whole conversation away from the forum so that future readers couldn't see the resolution.  In this case, I'm sure that the investigation would have continued on the forum but who knows...does that mean that you should just jump straight in?

The 2nd site link, as I said completely contradicts what is in the welcome guide. You have 1 page that says : "THIS IS NOT A SUPPORT MAILING LIST.
It is for Support Volunteers Only." but then the welcome page saying; Hey, if you want to discuss a problem on the forum itself then join this list.

The content of the discussions may have been in the remit according to one of the pages, but perhaps not the other (or not clearly enough) so this is where a disconnect exists.