[wp-forums] Answer to why WordFence got so many plugin reviews rcently

Ipstenu the Half-Elf ipstenu at halfelf.org
Mon Feb 10 20:54:48 UTC 2014

Jan noticed this earlier: http:// pic.twitter.com/Q4DquiYNRT

Now I know why! They sent this email (and yes, it linked every single
time to the review page):

Dear WordPress Publisher,

If you would like to stop receiving WordPress security alerts and
product updates from Wordfence, you can click here.  You subscribed to
this list via the Wordfence security plugin for WordPress.  If you find
this alert helpful, please give us a 5 star rating on WordPress.org.

As of 11am eastern time this morning we are monitoring the largest
distributed brute force attack on WordPress installations that we've
seen to date. The real-time attack map on www.wordfence.com became so
busy that we've had to throttle the amount of traffic we show down to 4%
of actual traffic.

A brute force attack is when an attacker tries many times to guess your
username password combination by repeatedly sending login attempts. A
distributed brute force attack is when an attacker uses a large number
of machines spread around the internet to do this in order to circumvent
any blocking mechanisms you have in place.

If you're using the free or paid version of Wordfence you should have
the option to "Participate in the real-time Wordfence security network"
under 'Other options' enabled. This will immediately block any attack
originating from an IP address that has attacked other WordPress sites
using Wordfence. This is an effective defense against this kind of attack.

We recommend that until this passes you monitor your WordPress websites
closely for unusual activity including logins, account creation or
changes to the public facing website.

If you found this alert helpful, please give us a 5 star rating on
WordPress.org on the right of the page.

Mark Maunder
Wordfence Creator & Feedjit Inc. CEO.

PS: If you aren't already a member you can subscribe to our WordPress
Security and Product Updates mailing list here. You're welcome to
republish this email in part or in full provided you mention that the
source iswww.wordfence.com. If you would like to get Wordfence for your
WordPress website, simply go to your "Plugin" menu, click "add new" and
search for "wordfence".