[wp-forums] Jan Dembowski

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Sat Aug 9 02:55:02 UTC 2014

There is a moderator on the WP support forums called Jan Dembowski who is
really badly humoured, or let's say chagrined, and who will do unfair
stuff like close forum topics to new replies (after having the last say
himself) for no other reason than that a contributor (like myself) said
something that hit a wrong nerve with him.

Let's call it "looking at him in the wrong way."

And let's call it "abusing a power position to settle an argument instead
of dealing with it as a grown person."

I had made a reply to my own topic that has existed for a while talking
about my experiences with the 3.9.2 security update, which broke my
(amateur, hobby) WordPress installation (that is allowed to be broken at
every turn, more or less) in a slight way. And I related the interesting
stuff I had learned from that.

Mr. Dembowski insisted that no person should modify core WP files like I
had and that the breakage of this minor feature was my 'own fault' and
that I would perhaps have more luck doing a search in the plugin
repository with some obvious keywords he suggested.

I replied by saying that he was making assumptions as to the importance of
my site's operation, that there was no problem whatsoever and I was not
making a support request of anyone, I was just relating a fun experience.

I also suggested he take a break if he saw every supposed 'negative' as a
thing that required immediate fixing, and that he take a step back if he
could not enjoy any type of post that was not an utterly serious request
for help on these forums.

Of course, I did not express these things as eloquently as I do now, or as
verbally apparent, but that's what I said to him.

He responded by saying I was wrong about everything, and that the forum
was not a place for having fun, and he ended with a jab at me for having
abused his forum.

Such a badly humoured moderator who is so tensed up that he can only think
in terms of problems and cannot appreciate anything even moderately less
"important" or "urgent" or "serious" being discussed on the forums .... as
if this is some life or death race to keep every single WordPress install
on the planet running smoothly and without issue.... and it is also HIS
responsibility to achieve that...

For he is acting like he is the "support guy" and I am the "noob who needs
help". And that I am only on these forums to /receive/ help. But most of
the time I am not asking help at all. Most of the time, when I do visit,
when I do have time and focus in my life to be visiting these forums, I
spend most of my time answering to other people's support requests.

I learn most from helping other people, so I pick questions that I want to
know the answers to, and then I set about answering them. These questions
are always smaller than the stuff I need to do myself, so they are like
the sub-problems to my own needs and plans. Because of that, I save no
energy or effort in trying to help these people and get them the perfect
solution for what they want, sometimes spending hours and hours and hours
to develop a solution for someone I don't know. And I believe the forums
are a better place because of that, no matter how little I do....

And now suddenly I am not allowed to have a few jokes in my own thread in
the HACKS subforum that is dedicated to core adjustment (my thread, I
mean) for reasons of creating (and experimenting with) diversity design as
an answer to automated spamming and spam registrations and the like...

...and this MODERATOR comes in to tell me that HACKING WORDPRESS IS NOT
ALLOWED.

In the bloody HACKS subforum.

Fucking hell, what did I do wrong?

You tell me. Here is the link:

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/anti-spam-registrations

And I know this Dembowski is probably reading this, so I will say again to
you: if you are living under such a tight schedule, maybe just MAYBE it is
time to take a break now and then so you can appreciate the less serious
aspects of life again, yes?

I think everyone would benefit from that, certainly here on this forum.

Bye now.

Oh, and I do expect an apology. I am not going to keep sitting around on
these forums doing my best for everyone if the people in charge think it
is a good thing for berating me for doing my work. That spells
"unappreciative" like nothing else... No matter how valuable the forums
may have been to me before, if I'm getting abused like that, there is no
point for me to stay, or to be staying.

And I would just need to find some other way or mode of getting my
information and my 'learning kicks'. That's all.

"xennex81" on the forums, or "Bart Schouten" from the Netherlands.