[wp-forums] Support Forum Unsupportive

Robin Scott rob at 24hourtrading.co.uk
Tue Apr 29 10:01:57 UTC 2014

Hi,

Just looking through the WP Support forum, which I gave up using a few
months ago, and thought I would put a message on here describing the reason
I no longer add answers to the WordPres support forum as a matter of course.

I think some moderators need to learn when people are posting an answer
rather than a question.

The unwelcoming attitude I experienced is not what WordPress used to be
about: a passive aggressive link to a "Forum Welcome" is not exactly what
someone who has gone out of their way to provide a useful resolution onto a
forum to help future users experiencing the same issue might expect to
receive.

1) User suffers an issue;
2) User Google's that issue
3) User finds support forum thread which describes the issue being suffered;
4) Thread doesn't contain resolution
5) Thread isn't, therefore, of use. But user knows answer.
6) User leaves answer.
7) User is told "start your own thread"

Can you understand how the above is essentially telling user "your help is
not required" and also, next time you think of being helpful, don't even
bother. So I don't answer threads any more. I have better things to do. A
shame, really, but I find this is ultimately less frustrating.

I have also noticed a lot of heavy snark and downright rude answers to
inexperienced WordPres users on the forums, and this is highly likely to
end with people taking the decision to a) not use the forum and b) leave
WordPress altogether. An unwelcoming community is not a community.

Regards,

Rob