[wp-forums] The "moderator" hat

bc workz bcworks at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 07:15:47 UTC 2014

I'm afraid a simple label change is not going to cut it. Most forum users
are not capable of parsing the subtle semantics implied by various labels.
Apparently the general perception is anyone with more rank than member
presumably has complete admin access to everything, is capable of directly
modifying official core code, and can summon plague and pestilence upon
anyone violating the rules.

Because of this perception, moderators basically cannot offer any personal
opinions because such statements will be perceived as official policy of
the WordPress organization and possibly that of Automattic as well. The
only ways I see around this is:

1. Anytime opinion is offered, it must be accompanied by a disclaimer along
the lines of "The following is my personal opinion and does not represent
official position or policy of WordPress, Automattic, it's subsidiaries,
management, or employees." Or other such obtuse legalistic jibber jabber.

Or 2. Maintain a separate account with mere member privileges from which
one may freely exposit in any way they see fit within the forum rules just
as they apply to anyone. Of course this means if you are logged in as such
and see any spam or other moderator issues, you must log out then back in
as moderator in order to do anything. Or maintain two separate browsers and
switch between them.

Ridiculously extreme? Yes. And #2 is in a way a variation of the dreaded
sock puppet that is so vilified! Anything less will continue to confuse the
masses.

- Glenn (bcworkz)
On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 00:14:45 -0600