[wp-forums] We are not the theme police

Chris Olbekson chris at c3mdigital.com
Fri Aug 23 00:13:55 UTC 2013

The reason I brought this up is because we as moderators should not be making judgements on how or where someone acquired a theme or plugin.  I didn't link to the specific topic or even mention who respond ed because I was speaking generally not specific.  When you say "We do not support stolen themes" you are telling someone they are using a "stolen" theme.  You may not be directly accusing them of "stealing" it but you are implying that they are doing something wrong.

The reason I mentioned the GPL is because when using GPL software there is no such thing as stolen or theft because the author of the code has given everyone and anybody permission to do what ever they want with that code (except re distribute it under a different license).  Now whether the theme in question is GPL or not doesn't matter because again it is not our place to even find out if it is.

And in my opinion the question was not theme specific.  The user wanted to know how to make their site responsive and the answer could have been "Remove the fixed width from the content tag and change to a percentage".  Now if the user came back and said "How do I change the css, I looked in the style.css file and there is nothing there"  Now the question becomes theme specific and we can politely tell them they need to get support from the developer via the themes support system at www.premiumthemesupport.com.

There is no need to say we don't support stolen themes and tell them they need to legitimately purchase it. We don't know how they acquired it nor should it matter.

The only reason I bring this up to the list is because I care about our forum users experience and feel very strong about treating anyone that comes to the forums for help with respect and dignity.

my .02 thanks for reading.

Chris