[wp-forums] dealing with fundamental CSS, PHP, and HTML topics?

Mika A Epstein ipstenu at ipstenu.org
Thu Oct 4 19:16:41 UTC 2012

I put in a short stub:

=== Commercial Products ===

If you use a commercial theme or plugin and need support, please go to
their official support channel. In order to be good stewards of the
WordPress community, and encourage innovation and progress, we feel it's
important to direct people to those official locations. Doing this will
provide the developer with the income they need to make WordPress awesome.

Francisco de Azevedo wrote:

> [...]
>>> and if this is really your 'life!' (tm the guy I argued with last week),
>>> then FFS, pay the $25 and grow up. Justin deserves to be able to make a
>>> living.
>>>
>>> Also in the cases where premium themes eff off and refuse to help, well,
>>> that's good too. Why? They get people running away in droves.
>>>

>>> Mar Ventus<mailto:marventus.wp at gmail.com**>
>>> October 4, 2012 1:00 PM
>>> Hi, guys!
>>> Since you opened the "what should be added to the Forum Welcome" debate
>>> (and yeah, it is too late to back down now, heehee), what do you think
>>> about reinforcing the "no support for premium themes" rule? Lately, I've
>>> been noticing a lot of users with premium templates and plugins
>>> trying to
>>> get support on the forums. I suspect that some of them are even fully
>>> aware
>>> of the rule, but still post nonetheless without sharing a link to their
>>> site (i.e., so that you can't tell what their themes are).
>>> More concretely put, what I was thinking was expanding the "Include as
>>> much
>>> information as possible" paragraph and explicitly ask users to post
>>> a link
>>> to their sites (whenever possible). IMHO, said changes should help users
>>> better abide by the "What not to do" section.
>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> Marventus

>>> October 4, 2012 5:09 AM
>>>
>>> +1 for adding a couple of sentences.
>>>
>>> Some of the questions are acceptable such as how do I remove "Leave a
>>> Reply" or modify the margin or padding and I think those aren't bad at
>>> all.
>>> I don't think those necessarily should get "See a CSS forum" right
>>> off the
>>> bat.
>>>
>>> But a couple of sentences in the Forum Welcome page along the lines "CSS
>>> customization is outside of the scope of these WordPress software
>>> support
>>> forums, for more generic formatting support see a CSS forum" wouldn't
>>> hurt.
>>> If a topic started getting deep into CSS customization (again) then that
>>> could get pointed to as a reference.
>>>
>>> Jan Dembowski
>>> October 4, 2012 4:30 AM
>>> there is a substantial amount of topics which are primarily about
>>> formatting (or other rudimentary skills) which often get the usual
>>> 'please
>>> use firebug..and ask at a css forum' answers.
>>>
>>> I suggest to add a sentence or two to the forum rules (not that anybody
>>> ever reads them before posting) to set in more details what questions
>>> should (or should not) be asked in this forum (similar to what they have
>>> at
>>> the WPSE
>>> http://wordpress.**stackexchange.com/faq<http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/faq>)
>>>
>>> I am looking forward to hearing your opinions about this,
>>> Michael