[wp-forums] Dhoppe at it again

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed Mar 14 15:25:37 UTC 2012

Actually, per the current, detailed
guidelines<http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/about/guidelines/>,
admin advertising is NOT allowed [*emphasis *added]:

*In general, things like banner or text link advertising should not be
anywhere in a plugin, including on its settings screen.* Advertising on
settings screens is generally ineffective anyway, as ideally users rarely
visit these screens, and the advertising is low quality because the
advertising systems cannot see the page content to determine good ads. So
they're best just left off entirely. Putting links back to your own site or
to your social-network of choice is fine. If the plugin does include
advertising from a third party service, then it must default to completely
disabled, in order to prevent tracking information from being collected
from the user without their consent. This is the method commonly known as
"opt-in".

I'm sure there's some gray area there; I'm also quite sure on which side of
that gray area these particular Plugins fall, if they solicit multiple
support topics from end users.

Use that as you will; personally, I think his disrespectful attitude toward
the community - and especially toward his own end users - has no place in
the WordPress  community.

Chip