[wp-forums] Plugin Support Questions

Kathryn Presner zoonini at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 19:25:11 UTC 2012

Hi there, hope you'll indulge me asking these questions here - they
relate peripherally to the forums.

I'm preparing a presentation called Passionate About Plugins for
WordCamp Montreal next month, in which I'll help beginners learn how
to make an informed decision about which plugins to use.

I came across two things I'm wondering about:

1) How are the numbers relating to support-forum-thread resolution calculated?

For example, in the qTranslate forum, I see lots and lots of
unresolved threads from the last two months (and also many unanswered
ones):

http://wordpress.org/support/plugin/qtranslate

And yet the stats say: "2 of 2 support threads in the last two months
have been resolved." - although there have been way more than 2
support threads started during that period. Am I missing something
about the way this works or could this be a bug?

Another example is with Secure WordPress, which says "0 of 0 support
threads in the last two months have been resolved." - and yet I see 3
threads (including 2 with no replies) from the last 2 months, none of
them resolved:

http://wordpress.org/support/plugin/secure-wordpress

2) Does anyone know exactly what clicking the new "Subscribe to Emails
for this Plugin" link actually does?

I found this in May's announcement:  "You can now subscribe to get an
email whenever a commit is made to a plugin repository even if it
isn’t yours."
http://wordpress.org/news/2012/05/plugins-refreshed/

Is that the only type of emal users will get? Is the plugin developer
able to send out announcements directly as well?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light.

kp

Zoonini Web Services
http://www.zoonini.com