[wp-forums] Abusive use of resolved status

Mika A. Epstein ipstenu at ipstenu.org
Thu Aug 16 17:07:14 UTC 2012

If possible, yeah, offer an answer, but it's not always the case.

I mean "This plugin doesn't work, it doesn't show any information."

Go on. Solve ;)

OPs can be un-educated. We can ask "Have you tried with other plugins
turned off?" or "Can you provide a page on your site where it's not
working?" and "What shortcode variable did you use?" But. If they never
come back, it's not fair to ask anyone to solve to X with two unknowns.

Encourage good behavior in everyone. If someone's flagging things
resolved and not telling anyone anything, there's nothing we can do,
because the odds are we'd never notice.

On 2012-08-16 10:38, Francisco de Azevedo wrote:
> *@Ipstenu:* Yeah, you are right: it would be a false positive either
> way,
> but leaving it resolved does seem to have the added downside that it
> could
> lead to further bad practice. Perhaps if a mod would kindly suggest
> the
> plugin dev to post an answer (like I did, but I have no "authority"
> as an
> user), a precedent could be set?
> *@Drew:* It does indeed come down to that, but in my experience, good
> practice can also be encouraged by example and mild guidance.
> My 2 cents, ;-)
>
> Marv
>

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Drew <xoodrew at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think it largely comes down to an honor system. There will always
>> be some
>> people abusing the system but the best you can hope for it that
>> plugin
>> authors wait a responsible amount of time before they close topics
>> as
>> resolved.
>>
>> Drew
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 8:16 AM, esmi at quirm dot net
>> <esmi at quirm.net
>> >wrote:
>>
>> > "As there has not been an update to this topic for a while, I can
>> only
>> > assume that the issue has now been resolved and I am now marking
>> it as
>> > such. If this is incorrect, please feel free to change the topic's
>> status
>> > and/or post a followup."
>> >
>> > If I didn't do this, then we end up with a resolution status of
>> less than
>> > 50% which, IMO, hardly reflects the support work we actually do
>> (most
>> > topics are answered within 24 hours). So we're caught between a
>> rock & a
>> > hard place.
>> >

>> > Mel
>> > --