[wp-forums] Sending up the bat signal with needs-dev

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Tue Jul 5 12:19:33 UTC 2011

Howdy all --

Thanks in advance for the onslaught of support requests and crazy people [0]
you're about to deal with.

The core devs are willing and able to jump head-first into the forums, but
identifying those threads can be tough. Please do one or both of two things
to get us there:

  1. Tag the thread with needs-dev. I have that set up to email me.

  2. Idle in #wordpress-dev and post the link. Bonus points for mentioning
'nacin' otherwise I may not react.

Some things you might see, based on a cursory glance of issues so far:

  1. If the error has to do with class-json.php, then they have a plugin
that was doing it *really* wrong. Have them batch-deactivate. We should try
to keep a list of plugins with this problem, as usual.

  2. If a function like json_encode() or _decode() doesn't exist, then they
have a really lame host. Depending on how many of these crop up, we're going
to need to call some hosts (not the first time) and consider a fix in the
eventual 3.2.1. Please alert me to ones like this.

  3. If their UI doesn't work -- visual editor, any JavaScript animations or
actions, media popup, etc -- then they have a plugin that has a JavaScript
conflict. Since the UI is usable, get them to update all of their plugins
first before deactivating all of them. (Disqus, for example, has a new
version that is compatible.) The issue here is compatibility with the latest
version of jQuery, not with WordPress. Let's keep a list of plugins +
versions with this issue, as usual.

  4. Anything else that triggers your spidey sense -- you know what to look
for -- please get us there to weigh in.

  5. You rock. Despite what anyone tells you.

Thanks all.
Nacin

[0] My apologies for laughing at
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/upgrade-to-v32-and-my-site-is-fucked?replies=39,