[wp-forums] problematic profile image?

esmi at quirm dot net esmi at quirm.net
Wed Jul 21 14:51:49 UTC 2010

on 21/07/2010 15:39 Eric Mann said the following:
<snip>
> But the second part of my question has been a bit lost - would placing a Twitter
> handle in a gravatar still constitute "spamming?"  It's not promoting a
> business, just referring interested parties to an outside service.

To keep things as simple as possible, I'd argue yes - it would. If
people wish to contact you, they can do so indirectly via your profile &
your own site. This means that users have to actively look for your
contact info.

Anything in a gravator or any similar information placed in a post as
(for example) a .sig, depends on passive activity. Forum users are
confronted with contact info whether they wanted it or not.

Please bear in mind that I'm not passing judgement here. Just trying to
define a rule that's as simple as possible to understand & apply.

Mel / esmi