[wp-forums] "Top Ten" question

Handy handy.solo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 17:46:17 GMT 2007

On 3/12/07, Petit <petit at petitpub.com> wrote:

> Shelly wrote:
> > This one is on "how to create your own theme".
> >
> > So I was hoping to gain your all's input on ... the top most-asked
> > questions for WP theme customization?
> >
> > This presentation will *NOT* tackle "how to edit Kubrick".  It's how
> > to do your own theme from scratch.
> >   I don't plan to cover how to create a site design - because that's
> > not what it's about.
> You'll probably have to talk about XHTML briefly - what is it?
> You'll certainly have to say something about CSS and columns, and how to
> get them to stay where you want them. ( In all browsers )
> Even if this might be regarded as design, it is design without which you
> don't have a blog at all.
> > But I wondered if anyone would have any input on what the top issues
> > would be - like navigation (I plan to cover that).
> Then for navigation ( and all over structure ):
> How can you have a special introductory first page - no posts.
> How do you present links to some Page pages but not all as tabs ( or menu
> )
> How do you list categories in another order than the default. ( sidebar )
> How do you list only main categories ( avoiding sub dittos )
> How do you have a certain post 'stick' on the top of the page ( main,
> category )
>
> Well, no news I guess, just some things from the top of my head.

How do you manage  styling current page vs other pages.
Also, Child pages, grandparent pages

How do you style the newest post differently (aka "I want that "new" banner
on the post).

How to show title only in archives / how to show excerpt only.  Oh hell, as
part of covering the loop, cover the_content and the_excerpt.  ;)

Template Hierarchy - -what pages are used when.