[wp-forums] "Top Ten" question

Shelly foolish.visions at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 13:14:43 GMT 2007

I didn't want to ask this on the forums, because I wanted to get the
people who actually help with WP on the forums more than just "general"
feelers.

I've been asked to do another presentation on WordPress.  (I don't know
why people keep asking me!  I swear, I don't!)  This one is on "how to
create your own theme".

I've been cruising the forums endlessly for the last week (normally, I
help out when I can, but this past week has been my "R&D" phase, if you
will), and there's so many repeating questions, I can't even remember
which ones qualify for what I need.

So I was hoping to gain your all's input on this - can anyone think of
some of the top most-asked questions for WP theme customization?

This presentation will *NOT* tackle "how to edit Kubrick".  It's how to
do your own theme from scratch (or convert your existing site into a
"wordpressed" version).  I don't plan to cover how to create a site
design - because that's not what it's about.  But I wondered if anyone
would have any input on what the top issues would be - like navigation
(I plan to cover that).  I also plan to go with the 2.0.x line of WP
rather than 2.1.x, because (as someone who's used both) 2.1.x seems to
be a little "buggier" (if you will) than 2.0.x.  But if anyone has
reason to think it would be best if I go with 2.1.x, please let me know
(I like 2.1.x better, myself, but that's probably because most problems
I come across, I can fix with no problem - but I'm not the usual
"layman" out there.)

So if anyone has any suggestions or anything that could help me with
this, I'd appreciate it.  I always like to hear from other WP people so
I can represent WP as best I can when I do this.

Thanks!

~Shelly