[wp-forums] Re version info

Handy handy.solo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 20:23:53 GMT 2006

On 9/20/06, Podz <podz at tamba2.org.uk> wrote:

> Vkaryl wrote:
> > On 9/20/06, Handy wrote:
> >
> > This idea just gets my little developer beanie spinning.  An (optional)
> > form
> > below the new post field.  *shivers with glee*
> >
> > --------------------------------
> > Please fill out as much as you can:
> >
> > WordPress version:  _____  (check the bottom of any Admin page)
> > Web server:  [ ] Apache  [ ] IIS   [ ] other __________
> > Web server version: _________
> > OS:  [ ] *nix   [ ] windows [ ] *bsd  [ ] mac [ ] other ________
> > PHP Version ___________
> > MySQL Version __________
>
> "What's apache"
>
> While I think that such information could be useful to the occasional
> person I think for most users it'll just confuse.

Aww, my beanie propeller is spinning down...  Valid concern.  I suppose
"Fill in as much as you can" will probably frusterate some folks to no end.
I just got lambasted in the forums because "not everyone is in IT
professional, you know."

But what _would_ be cool is if someone could code a little script which
> when things get tricky we ask them to upload and run. That way they
> don't need to know anything or find it out - esp bearing in mind that
> some people just want to change links colours while others want the
> earth on a plate.

Something like ye olde phpinfo, but not quite as detailed?  With some extra
bits to query WP version.
Wonder if that would make sense as a plugin?

In fact, if you get to the stage of using this why not rename the Beta