[wp-forums] Changes 9/20

Jeremy Visser jeremy.visser at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 10:23:17 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 01:12 -0700, Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> If we're brainstorming, here's what I think would be useful:

Since we're brainstorming, here's an idea I had a couple of hours ago.

This morning, I replicated a Windows Vista task dialog in HTML/CSS.[1]
Task dialogs have the advantage of being, I have to hand it to
Microsoft, very easy to understand and make a decision. They don't
suffer from the "Save your work or lose your data? OK/Cancel" problem.

I just thought, seeing as though nobody seems to read the forum rules
before posting, why not have a reminder on a new user's first post to
read the forum rules? I see that you've moved the forum rules to the
very top of the page, that's very good. I also did a mockup at [2] of
perhaps a page that should be displayed after a new user clicks the
"Start New Topic »" link and before the post form is displayed. This
would only happen for the first post the user has made.

I realise the example given at [2] is not in the style of the rest of
the forums, it was just an idea. Maybe it could be adapted to suit the
style by using the » stuff that's at the end of all the links
rather than the Tango[3] arrow I'm using.

[1] http://narnia.bounceme.net/jeremy/2006/09/20/html-task-dialogs/
[2] http://narnia.bounceme.net/jeremy/stuff/task/forums.html
[3] http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Desktop_Project

Thanks for reading this,