[wp-forums] Forums above posts.

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Mon Sep 18 11:30:29 GMT 2006

Petit wrote:
> Podz wrote:
>> http://tamba2.org.uk/files/one.png
>>
>> Yes ?
>> No ?
>>
>> And if you lurk - please speak.
>>
> Yes to the more prominent sticky position!
> Indifferent on the forums list moving up.

Agreed.
Have the forums ever had a problem with people posting to the wrong forums?
Bar a handful. no. So why give that list prime position?

What they _have_ had is difficulty for newcomers to work out where to
post. That needs one link. It needs one link that is past the stickies.
That link is the point isn't it? To make life easier for newcomers.

Leave the list at the bottom.
Put the link where it was if anywhere. A link which leads to one posting
 area which has a dropdown of the available forums.

And leave latest discussions where they are.
One complaint about tags was that regular helpers had to scroll down
further to begin helping - this proposed change will make that scrolling
worse.

You want the forums higher but they have been no problem.
You want the Latest Discussion further down which makes seeing them for
newcomers harder
You want the Latest Discussion further down which means YOU have to
scroll further every time.
You want that but I cannot see how that makes life easier for anyone -
how does it do this?

IMO the forums need 2 changes:
- prominence to the stickies - which could even be achieved through styling
- a link to the posting area
>From my experience in the forums those are what is needed.

I'm not being an SOB I just honestly fail to see how the change actually
benefits users - both new and established. It seems that there is a
"change for it's own sake" going on and I know I asked and I know that
when you open the box it all flies out but please - how does that
screenshot benefit people? Maybe I can't see the obvious - tell me?

P.