[wp-forums] The "Changes" - PT2 - Let's get this together..

Lara at Anubis Marketing lara at anubismarketing.com
Sun Sep 17 02:16:26 GMT 2006

The only thing I can say about discussing things on this list, and the
hundreds of emails that have come through here in the last few days, is that
personally, as a non-mod, that whole huge chunk of emails that were related
to only things mods can see/do/etc was a little annoying. Sure, it's nice to
keep everyone aware of what's going on, but you all were talking about
things that none of us can see or work with. Isn't there a list just for
official mods? Why am I sitting here reading about things that I have no
reason to be reading? Things like, "mods can see the difference between this
URL and this one" - so... this benefits me, how? I have nothing against
mods, I love you all... but when I've got 20 or 30 emails in my inbox about
"mod only" stuff - it gets a little bothersome... sorry, just MHO. (I've
never been one to hold that back, as you all know!)

Anyway, I don't mind discussing forum changes in this list. I think we've
seen input by some "lurkers" - though nearly not as many as there are...
maybe they too were put off by the mods-only chunk of stuff? I dunno. But I
don't think the forums themselves would be the place for stuff like forum
changes, et al. for one reason... too many "newbies". Yes, they may be able
to make suggestions in regards to difficulties posting or finding the info
they want - however the majority of people who are active on this list, are
those who have been active in the forums for quite some time. A year or
longer in most cases. This list is no secret, anyone may join it - if they
choose to lurk, that's their perogative (sp). Some of you have outright
begged them to speak up - and they choose not to. All that tells me is that
they have either NO opinion, or that they entrust the best will come through
with those who are actively discussing it. Either way - I think hemming and
hawing over how to get more input is silly. How many messages were sent out
today? I think for the most part, we've all nearly agreed on just about
everything, or there was a definite majority. (I could be wrong, didn't
actually go back and count...)

That said - I remember someone saying something about being in a situation
where there is one person with veto power, and feeling like regardless of
what's discussed, things will or will not be done according to that one
person. I tend to agree that this feels like that sometimes. That people's
ideas are shot down without thorough discussion amongst everyone, just
because one person shot it down before anyone else could talk about it or
ask questions. (Maybe another reason the lurkers remain in the shadows?) No,
it's not a democracy here - however those of us in the "Republic of
WordPress" are the ones who use and promote this software every single damn
day of our lives. And were it not for the masses, "we" wouldn't be this far
along. So stepping away from your preconceived notions, your old grudges,
and your personality conflicts are pretty damn important if you ask me, and
that's what it all boils down to. Ditching the negativity and opening up
your eyes to the fact that maybe other people DO have valid points before
stomping all over them would do some good around here.

That said - I'm off to bed. Rhyme unintentional.

~ Lara