[wp-forums] Pasting Code

Shelly foolish.visions at gmail.com
Sat Sep 9 02:56:14 GMT 2006

Although I'm a newbie here, I'm all for the pastebin thing.

I *did* want to say though, someone mentioned the issue of code getting
screwed up - I may chime in on that.

When you create a post, it says at the bottom to use backticks around
the code in question so that it is shown as plain text instead of parsed
by the browser.  Quite frankly, I have absolutely *no clue* what creates
a backtick.  Every time I post code, I just highlight the example
backtick, copy it, and paste it before and after my code examples.

It's obvious that many on the boards have no idea how to do it either
(I've seen several actually ask how to do it, but have never seen a
reply), and aren't as clever as I am in thinking to copy/paste the one
that is there (oh yes.  I'm soooo clever. LOL)  I remember the very
first time I posted on the forums, I thought the single quote was a
backtick.  When it didn't work, I hurriedly changed my post so that it
wouldn't screw things up (not only am I clever, but I am thoughtful too.
  Aren't I great?) - but to this day the only way I can put backticks on
is by copy/pasting them.  I still can't figure out how to just *make* them.

So there - a representative for the general (stupidy of the) public
steps in and makes our scary admission - we don't know how to backtick.
So, perhaps if that were a *little* bit clearer, there might be less of
a problem with messed up code being put in?  Just a thought! :)

~Shelly
(who has a somewhat sarcastic sense of humor)