[wp-forums] Installing for free @craig, petit

Christopher J. Hradil chradil at comcast.net
Thu Jul 13 23:50:59 GMT 2006

First, my last email (which I wrote before seeing any of the past couple of
posts) should explain or clarify things a bit more.

Second - Quote:
<snip>
I can't wait till this thread hits the various mailing list archives out
there, so I can link to it as yet another illustration of the major weakness
in any open source project -- namely, the tendency of individuals to allow
their own egos and agendas to override community productivity.

That really was a silly statement, I admit that, and anyone who knows me
also knows that I wouldn't actually go and spread our "laundry" for the
public to see. I do a fair amount of authoring of documents, etc for clients
and such, and have a couple of projects going on where we're discussing
things like where there are weaknesses in the open source model, etc. The
reason for all of that activity is really to help some folks I'm working
with "sell" the idea of using some open source software (like WP) on some
really big and high profile projects. I do apologize for "picking" on Podz,
I'm fully aware that I could spend a couple of days trying to count his
posts, and his level of personal dedication (as I have stated a couple of
times at least, and not just today) to Wordpress is second only to maybe
Matt.

So, it's clear to me that my original point didn't come across as I intended
it to due in part to my choice of words, etc.

I'm a big advocate of the open source model, and often "evangelize" the use
of products like WP, etc, with clients both large and small. The fact is
that at this point in time there is a fair level of resistance quite often
when it comes to a "larger" sized company (say folks doing $300MM - $1B/year
revenue) implementing anything open source, even though in many cases the
open source alternatives are clearly better than the commercial products
available. Most often the major objection is in the area of support for the
product, and stability and long term viability of the community. So as I
stated earlier, I apologize for my poor choice of *some* words, I suppose to
some extent I was caught up in the heat of the moment, as opposed to focused
on the overall objective which is for me anyway, to help ensure that any
open source projects I have any involvement with present a clear message to
existing and potential users, and ensure the support communities behind the
products are as stable and effective as possible.

...chris

Christopher J. Hradil
chradil at comcast.net
http://www.hradil.us