[wp-forums] Sticky: How to search the forums

Ian D thewaytothecentre at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 14:16:03 GMT 2006

On 2/6/06, Podz <podz at tamba2.org.uk> wrote:
> A suggestion from Mel whose emails to this list aren't getting through.
> A sticky on how to search seeing as we still get complaints about the
> inbuilt function.
>
> As we may have different tricks and I'd like this to be a one-shot
> closed post I reckon drafting it here first would be good. Add / edit as
> needed.
>
> ------------
>
> How to search these forums.
>
> 1. Use Google
> Into their search box, write this
> site:wordpress.org/support/ your_search_term
> so if you want to search for gallery you would use
> site:wordpress.org/support/ gallery
> This search will ONLY return forum results.
>
> 2. Use Yahoo
> Into their search box, write this
> wordpress.org your_search_term
> This search will return ALL results in the domain, including Codex.
>
> 3. Use Firefox ?
> Search plugin for forums is here:
> http://www.tamba2.org.uk/wordpress/search/
>
> How to search Codex
>
> 1. Use Google
> Into their search box, write this
> site:codex.wordpress.org/ your_search_term
> so if you want to search for gallery you would use
> site:wordpress.org/support/ gallery
site:codex.wordpress.org/support/ gallery
> This search will ONLY return forum results.
This search will ONLY return codex results.

> 2. yahoo ?
>
> 3. Firefox plugin
> Search plugin for codex is here:
> http://www.tamba2.org.uk/wordpress/search2/
>
> When the results are returned, look at the URL. The higher the number
> the more recent the result.
> wordpress.org/support/topic/26664     older
> wordpress.org/support/topic/51712     newer
>
> Site Offline ?
>
> Use the above but use the cached pages from the search engine of your
> choice.

My personal pet hate, and maybe even a solution:

None of the above worked? About to post beacause you can't find the answer?

Try searching with the title you are going to use. If you still get no
results, make sure your title is as descriptive to help future
searches.