[wp-forums] Sticky: How to search the forums

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Mon Feb 6 10:21:32 GMT 2006

A suggestion from Mel whose emails to this list aren't getting through.
A sticky on how to search seeing as we still get complaints about the
inbuilt function.

As we may have different tricks and I'd like this to be a one-shot
closed post I reckon drafting it here first would be good. Add / edit as
needed.

------------

How to search these forums.

1. Use Google
Into their search box, write this
site:wordpress.org/support/ your_search_term
so if you want to search for gallery you would use
site:wordpress.org/support/ gallery
This search will ONLY return forum results.

2. Use Yahoo
Into their search box, write this
wordpress.org your_search_term
This search will return ALL results in the domain, including Codex.

3. Use Firefox ?
Search plugin for forums is here:
http://www.tamba2.org.uk/wordpress/search/

How to search Codex

1. Use Google
Into their search box, write this
site:codex.wordpress.org/ your_search_term
so if you want to search for gallery you would use
site:wordpress.org/support/ gallery
This search will ONLY return forum results.

2. yahoo ?

3. Firefox plugin
Search plugin for codex is here:
http://www.tamba2.org.uk/wordpress/search2/

When the results are returned, look at the URL. The higher the number
the more recent the result.
wordpress.org/support/topic/26664     older
wordpress.org/support/topic/51712     newer

Site Offline ?

Use the above but use the cached pages from the search engine of your
choice.