[wp-forums] Forum Evolution

Les Bessant les at lcb.me.uk
Sat Aug 5 22:08:07 GMT 2006

Said it before, and I'll say it again.

The present layout of the forum front page is not clear or inviting for
newcomers. I'd be much happier with a list of forums at the top, ideally
with an indication of new posts (I'm assuming the present software could be
persuaded to do this without too much trouble). Drilling into each forum
(and this kind of layout would be more conducive to having a breakdown of
subforums) should show the list of posts. If the system can keep track of
unread posts, "new posts since last visit" or similar, so much the better.

The list of recent posts in its current form isn't all that helpful. It
stops casual visitors from seeing the list of forums, and more serious
volunteers are going to be using the "unread" tag anyway...

I can see both sides of the "recognition" thing. I'd be inclined not to
bother unless someone comes up with an idea that satisfies everyone....

Les Bessant les at lcb.me.uk
Losing it[1] - http://lcb.me.uk/