[wp-forums] How to correct wrong answers

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Fri Apr 21 13:42:18 GMT 2006

Michael E. Hancock wrote:
> On more than one occassion Podz has mentioned that there are people who
> "consistently give poor advice" in the Forums.
>
> In general, I believe people try to give the best answer, even if it is just
> a link to Codex or a link Podz's site.  But when it happens, is there a
> diplomatic way to inform people they've provided the incorrect answer to a
> question?
>
> You'd like to think that anyone giving incorrect answers, would appreciate
> knowing the CORRECT answer, so that next time they can do a better job of
> answering the question.  If we know people are providing incorrect
> information, isn't it our job to point that out and educate the forum
> volunteer?

Yes it is.
Sometimes I have very clearly said "Ignore what is above, you must do
this" or "X is wrong". Those have been when people have said phrases
with words like 'phpmyadmin' 'delete' 'reinstall' and other such stuff
that could really damage a blog. In such cases I have no problem with
yelling - it may hurt the feelings of the poster concerned but if they
are being reckless with advice then we need to both send that message
AND be sure that the OP does know what to do. One day someone will lose
their blog because some idiot hands out completely wrong advice.

If it's inconsequential then I'll leave the advice I would and hope 2
things happen:
- the OP comes back after solving their problem and thanks the poster
whose advice worked
- the poster also comes back and learns
Unfortunately both do not always happen.

And I think we all still learn - code snippets, new methods, new
plugins, new approaches - so we all have something to offer and learn in
return. The issue isn't people who return to learn and help, the issue
is the people who really don't have a clue and wouldn't know one either
- the sort you almost follow round the forums.
Like I said though, if it's inconsequential I have answered and moved on.

P.