[wp-forums] Doing it for free.

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Wed Apr 19 19:02:28 GMT 2006

Kaf Oseo wrote:

>> Caveat:  For liability concerns, you probably don't want to run the
>> service
>> under the WordPress.org umbrella.
>
> This I agree with most. So, one of our current sites or a new domain?
> Something Matt wants to step in? :)

I agreed at first. Now I don't.
Here's why:
- let's say I own "www.i-install-wp-for-free.com" and I set it all up
there. Or that you own it and you do. We would slap disclaimers all over
the place wouldn't we? So if we would have to do that, then why when we
do this do we not just make it really clear that this is not endorsed by
... WP is held harmless .. etc
- the other reason is that if we do it elsewhere, what stops someone
else from doing the same. But badly?

Maybe I underthought it, but I saw a sticky post in the forums:

----
We will do X Y and Z ONLY.
You need to give us access.

WP is not held responsible in any way.
The people in this list are experienced with WP and have demonstrated
continued support in these forums.
Each person in the list reserves the right not to do it.
It is your responsibility to satisfy yourself that you are in contact
with the correct person.

This is genuinely free for personal or non-profit bloggers. You will not
be asked to buy anything, add any links to your blog, or <insert
anything else>
----

Regardless of where it is, the point of weakness is this bit:
"It is your responsibility to satisfy yourself that you are in contact
with the correct person."
and if we can solve that first then I think it's worth battering into
shape. I cannot think of a method of doing that though.
How do we make it work?

P.