[wp-forums] Doing it for free.

Handy handy.solo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 18:04:21 GMT 2006

On 4/19/06, Kaf Oseo <kaf at szub.net> wrote:

> Podz wrote:
> >> * This could lead to an avalanche of requests.
> >
> > But wouldn't that be cool?
>
> To us perhaps. Not so much to someone waiting several days for an
> 'installer' to get around to 'em.
>
> -Kaf
>
> The rule of success: be prepared for it.

Bingo.  So we put on our geek hats and realize that a mailing list probably
wouldn't cut it.  Imagine the chaos of 100 folks suddenly dropping in
installation requests.

Y'all have the talent in this list that quite a few of "us" could quickly
cobble together a little registration app where folks could sign up for the
service and perhaps even see where they're at in the queue.  Approved
installers could then drop by and just claim the next one in the queue and
initiate the conversation.

Err, sorry.  A developer's first response:  We need a database!   :-p

Anyways, I think the free installing service is a great idea!

Caveat:  For liability concerns, you probably don't want to run the service
under the WordPress.org umbrella.  Last thing the suits needs is some
unsatisfied install customer dropping a nuisance suit on them because of
*this* little side project.

And I pretty much agree with what's already been said up to this point.

Again -- great idea.