[wp-forums] We need to be friendly.

Michael B miklb.online at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 00:33:02 GMT 2006

On 4/15/06, Roy Schestowitz <wp-lowtraffic at schestowitz.com> wrote:

> ___/ On Thu 13 Apr 2006 23:32:55 BST, [ Craig ] wrote : \___
>

> > Maybe bbPress could have a karma button so that a person could click on
> it
> > to show appreciation for someone. I dunno, that's totally off the wall,
> but
> > regardless, the theme of this thread is an important one and speaks to
> the
> > quality of those involved in the day-to-day goings-on dans le monde de
>

> I have seen a variety of support-related CMS's (helpdesk software) where
> the
> participants can rate the response or flag something to indicate its
> 'usefulness'.

There is an option for the OP to mark a thread as resolved.  Rarely is it
used.  Some have suggested that if a simple check box was added around the
reply button, it might get used more.

I recently had the need to use Apple's forum. They have a system that allows
the OP to mark a post as helpful, or solved.  The thread then gets an icon
to signify the status.  Points are awarded to posters for adding good
replies. 5 for helpful, 10 for solved.  Points are accumulated, and a level
is given based on point totals.  I haven't the faintest what the level does,
other than give new posters a chance to see who's been there longest posting
relavent answers.  I also noticed they don't have "signatures", aside from a
profile of their Apple hardware and software.
Not sure if WP needs all of that, but it seems to work for them.  I've not
really used any other forum support forum, aside from macosxhints, they
don't really have anything other than title based on number of posts.

I would like to see the resolved used more, or some similar concept, as it
would help users as well as volunteers seeking to offer help.

~miklb